Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Additional things

Two postings in one day. I am out of control.

3a. I was reading with the kids tonight a summary of the account of Job. At the end of Job, God appears and asks Job a series of questions that he cannot answer. As I was reading it this evening it struck me that the tone of voice with which we read that passage is vital. Let's take this sample for instance:

Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Now I have always read a bit of anger into those sentences. And perhaps that is right. But what if God spoke them with love? What if He laughed as He spoke those lines? Maybe pity in His voice. Something to think about....

3b. In that passage above, God made the stars sing. I bet most stars are a soft tenor. Except for the Red Dwarfs, which are obviously arrogant sopranos.

3c. My children's bladders are a finely coordinated group. They all are at optimum fullness just as I turn the engine in the family car to go somewhere. Just like Old Faithfuls.

3d. By God's grace, the older I get the better I am able to discern what is trivial and what is not. And, as it turns out, more is trivial than not.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Great point about God's response to Job, I've wondered the same thing. Humbling response, either way.

The rest of the post made me laugh out loud and distracted other people in my office. Inappropriate use of company time they say. But I say that laughter always makes things better. Except a UFC fight, it's seldomly helpful to laugh while fighting.