Friday, October 31, 2008
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
- Mrs. Underdog is the most pregnant person ever. With the impending birth of Pup #6, I am more impressed that Ashley's second birth will be more important than her first. She must be born again. I can't wait to see her.
- I can't believe they stopped the World Series in the middle of a game because of RAIN! Why not play it out? This is why football is a better sport. Rain. Sheesh. Can you imagine this conversation: "Gee, Coach Landry, it's snowing pretty hard and the wind is stinging my hands." "Yep, Roger, you're right. Let's just stop and we can play the 4th quarter on Tuesday."
- The Half-Price-Books clearance section is nearly my favorite place in the world right now. Every week, they have brand new books in the Sports and the Theology sections for just a buck apiece. I have the greatest collection of great books I don't have time to read in the entire city!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Monday, October 27, 2008
Friday, October 24, 2008
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
"All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children."
I have not given enough meditation to this yet, but it is profound to me......
-Is anyone really convinced that either of the Presidential candidates will change things that much? I can't question their committment to change, but they are still constrained by a system that resists significant change.
-I have never seen any preacher so compelling, so captivating, so clearly Spirit-filled as John Piper was this last weekend. His message on Job and God's Sovereignty over all things is changing the way I look at my life and the world.
-One of the most incredible statements Piper made this last weekend: "Satan must obey God." I think that most Christians would agree with this statement, but we don't act like it is true.
-I am so tired of the television. I know it makes me dumber, but I am continually sucked in by its mindlessness.
-Andrew Peterson's new album arrived yesterday. It is good but not great. The song "Hosea" nearly brought me to tears the first time I heard it.
-If you write a lousy review for a publishers book, I wonder if they let you do any more?
-Where is the A-Team when we need them?
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
I thought this was interesting though:
"Presently, the bottom 40% of income earners pay zero income taxes. The top 20% pay 80% of all the federal income taxes. Therefore, it is not possible to give the bottom 40% a tax cut because they pay no money to the government. So this begs the question: How is Barack Obama proposing to give a tax cut to 95% of Americans? The truth is that he is not going to give a tax cut to most Americans; it is not possible. Instead, he is going to give welfare subsidy to the bottom 40%. This subsidy Obama is calling a ‘tax cut,’ but in reality it is a tax increase in an attempt to redistribute wealth."
Monday, October 20, 2008
Two months later, when Mom found herself responsible for cleaning and feeding the creature, she located a prospective new home for it.The children took the news of Danny's imminent departure quite well, though one of them remarked, "He's been around here a long time--we'll miss him."
"Yes," Mom replied, "But he's too much work for one person, and since I'm that one person, I say he goes."
Another child offered, "Well, maybe if he wouldn't eat so much and wouldn't be so messy, we could keep him."But Mom was firm. "It's time to take Danny to his new home now," she insisted. "Go and get his cage."
"With one voice and in tearful outrage the children shouted, "Danny? We thought you said Daddy!"
Saturday, October 18, 2008
- God grants specific people with gifts that are simply extraordinary. When Piper was preaching, I didn't just hear it, I felt it. What an amazing gift.
- In Job, we learn that God is doing more for us and around us than we could ever comprehend. Combine that with the fact that God is good and we have nothing to fear in our limited perspective. "God is not just doing one thing in your life. He is doing ten thousand things in your life right now, most of which you will never fully comprehend."
- Going to a conference by yourself has pros and cons: Pro: You are alone to think and meditate on the content of the teaching you receive. Con: You are alone to think and meditate on the content of the teaching you receive.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Suddenly, from the rear of the plane, a man in a Marine uniform is seen slowly walking forward up the aisle. Stopping the flustered mother with an upraised hand, the courtly, soft-spoken Marine leans down and, motioning toward his chest, whispers something into the boy's ear.Instantly, the boy calms down, gently takes his mother's hand, and quietly fastens his seat belt. All the other passengers burst into spontaneous applause.
As the Marine slowly makes his way back to his seat, one of the cabin attendants touches his sleeve. "Excuse me, sir," she asks quietly, "but could I ask you what magic words you used on that little boy?"
The Marine smiles serenely and gently confides, "I showed him my pilot's wings, service stars, and battle ribbons, and explained that they entitle me to throw one passenger out the plane door on any flight I choose."
Until now. God has provided a group of people to our family that have defied my low expectations of the church. We are able to love people and receive love in kind. Self sacrifice for the good of others is common. The Gospel is central. And God is being glorified.
And Sunday mornings are filled with laughter and joy. In my history with church, that is an amazing distinction. Joy. On Sundays in our church people are happy to be in God's house with those that worship the risen Saviour. We sing with enthusiasm and we listen to preaching with great anticipation that God will open our eyes to see Him more clearly.
We are a big herd of servanthood oriented sheep. And that is very cool.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
A couple of other thoughts:
- What if we gave the trillion dollars to the middle class and the lower class? This would seem to make better sense than providing a bailout to the greedy fools that created this mess?
- There is a report that someone punched out the former CEO of Lehman Brothers when he was working out. This CEO is a guy that made $400 million and led his company right into bankruptcy. He should probably get used to that type of reaction.
- One confirmation that the US is still the dominant force in the world is that when we go down, everyone else goes down with us.
- Who in their right mind is selling stocks right now?! If you are wise, you bought part of a great company, not placed a bet. Hang in there and wait. Never sell low.
- The brilliant investor Warren Buffet said, "Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful." The time to buy low is coming for the patient.
- It is easy to commentate when you have very little money!
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
- Texas Stadium is really, really smelly. I took my 7 year-old with me to the game and the first words out of his mouth as we entered the stadium: "Hey, Dad, what's that smell?"
- Unbridled passion + excess consumption = unexplainable stupidity. Why go to the game and drink so much that you cannot control yourself? You can get sloshed at home without paying $100 for your ticket.*
- Instant replay. It is almost embarrassing to admit that I don't know how anyone enjoyed sporting events before instant replay. The game moves so fast that the human eye cannot capture everything that happens.
*I used to be against the building of new sports venues that would make it impossible for the common man to attend a game. But if the common man acts like a fool, maybe the ticket prices that will keep the cheap drunks from public displays of indecency are appropriate.
I am grateful for grace all over again.