Monday, July 20, 2009

Sentences

I was listening to a John Piper sermon while I was painting this weekend. One thing in particular stuck with me. Piper said that we all must have sentences. Sentences that we consistently return to. Sentences that we retrieve when we encounter difficult times. We cannot remember whole books. Most of us cannot remember paragraphs. But we can remember sentences.

This got me thinking: What are my sentences? What are the bedrock truths that I run to when I don't understand life. I was able to think of three.

1. God is sovereign over all things and he is doing ten thousand things around me that I am not aware of. This shapes my worldview. Romans 8:28 must be true---all thing are working for my good, whether I can see it or not.

2. This is not the end. This life is merely the preface. There is nothing that I cannot endure in this life that will not be worth what my Father has in store for me in eternity. “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,nor the heart of man imagined,what God has prepared for those who love him” (I Cor. 2:9). Life is but a vapor.

3. People are more important than things. This is an easy truth to say, but a hard truth to live out. I preach to my kids to "consider one another's interests ahead of their own", but their dad often places a premium on keeping things "nice". This is an area of sanctification for me.

So what are your sentences?

1 comment:

Aaron said...

1.) "...God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

2.) "God works all things for good for those who love God and are called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28

3.) "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

4.) "God is most glorfied in us when we are most satisfied in Him." John Piper