Monday, July 28, 2008

I want to play the gee-tar

I love music. With the notable exception of reggae and polka, my iPod contains something from just about every genre of music. Rap, check. Rock, check. Folk, check. Opera, check (Josh Groban is opera, right?). I can be found during most of my weekly chores singing some song. I think that one of God's gifts to me is an internal jukebox that plays on "Random" when my mind wanders.

I seem to be recalling a lot of old hymns recently. Many of the hymns that sang in my Baptist youth have been updated by artists like Chris Tomlin and Christy Nockels. I have seen many debates on blogs about whether or not they have honored the original writers of these hymns. I don't know whether they have or not, but I do know that they have resurrected long lost lyrics and made them alive and active again.

One of my greatest regrets in life was that I did not take piano lessons seriously when I was young. I had a short term view of things and piano practice was a daily scrum. Mom would strongly encourage my brother and I to play our pieces and my brother and I would rebel. Not knowing how to play the piano is one of those things that I suspect changed the course of my life, but I will never know for sure.

So I am going to try and learn to play the guitar. I have a guitar. I have the will. I may have the talent. I have to get a teacher. All I want is the ability to play a few chords with conviction. And maybe resurrect a few hymns of my own....

No comments: