Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bonus blog!


From the archives of my Homeschool Blogger blog:


Dec. 10, 2007 - Questions for Christmas


I love great stories. And most of the time, there are cracks in great stories that allow the hearer to fill in the blanks. I believe that is one of the reasons that God gave us imaginations. As I have read the Christmas story this year, new questions have arisen. The answers are not important to the purpose of the Nativity saga, but for me pondering them adds depth to the narrative and only makes the text more beautiful. Did you ever wonder:

-If Mary and Joseph passed crucified men on the journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem and thought, "I hope that never happens to anyone I know"?
-Did Mary and Joseph's parents know they went to Egypt with their new grandson? Did they fear the worst?
-Were the angels that appeared to the shepherds there all along?
-When the angels sang "Glory to God in the Highest", were they surprised to be singing to exalt a human baby in a manger?
-Gold, okay. Frankincense, yep. Myrrh, though? An embalming substance? That must have been confusing. (Try taking that to your next baby shower.)
-What was the first thing that the shepherds said to Mary and Joseph? Did the new parents believe their story at first?
-Why don't we ever refer to the Virgin Joseph in the Christmas story?
-Did Herod feel better after killing all those kids?
-Did Herod's scribes know the prophecy about the Messiah's birthplace off the top of their heads? Did they know the prophecy about "Rachel weeping for her children" when they told Herod?

That's all I have for now. I hope that your Xmas season is leading you back to the Cross.

No comments: