Monday, April 19, 2010

In Between

I am reading through the Bible this year. And although I will have to read all of the major and minor prophets and most of the epistles in the month of December, I am making solid progress. As I read portions (sometimes entire books) that I have not read before, I have noticed how very little information there is about most people. The Bible does not give comprehensive, biography style accounts of anyone. It merely hits the "highlights".

Adam and Eve get a few chapters. Abraham's hundred-plus years is covered in just a few pages. Jesus gets four books, but there are giant gaps where we know nothing specific about His life. The significant events are recorded for our benefit, but there is a lot of in-between time that is plain silent.

I am curious about those periods of time when the Scriptures are silent. But I also find a great deal of comfort that there was nothing noteworthy in the lives of many great saints for significant periods of time. I find that there are long stretches in my life where God seems to be doing very little. Life continues with the routines of work and parenting and church.

But God is always at work in me and through me and for me. He is slowly, steadily sanctifying me. He is making all things new and quietly disposing of the old. In the quiet stretches, He requires that I trust in His goodness and mercy and steadfast love.

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments: